Matthew Warchus’ innovative split-screen version of filmed Old Vic live In Camera performance of Lungs reminded us of another relationship two-hander presented in split screen, Hans Canosa’s 2005 film Conversations With Other Women. Our podcast considers how both use split screen technique in opposite ways to create a strong emotional impact.
This episode features Editor-in-Chief Alex Heeney, Executive Editor Orla Smith, and Editor-at-Large Mary Angela Rowe.
About Lungs In Camera
Alex saw the production of Lungs In Camera on July 1; Orla saw it on July 3; Mary Angela saw the production on July 4.
The Old Vic’s 2020 Lungs In Camera production
The Old Vic relaunched their 2019 production of Lungs, directed by Matthew Warchus and starring Claire Foy and Matt Smith for Old Vic: In Camera. The In Camera series staged the play with actors remaining two metres apart on stage and limited to 1000 tickets per live stream (the capacity of the Old Vic). Lungs ran from June 28 to July 4. Lungs, written by Duncan Macmillan, is about a young middle class couple considering the impact of having a family in a world facing environmental crisis.
Conversations With Other Women
Conversations With Other Women (Hans Canosa, 2005) stars Aaron Eckhart and Helena Bonham Carter as a divorced couple meeting at a wedding reflecting on their relationship. The film was shot in split-screen, keeping one camera on each actor for the running time.
- Listen to our podcast featuring Claire Foy in Unsane
- Read an excerpt focusing on Unsane from Alex’s essay on Claire Foy’s career
- Read the full essay in our ebook Beyond Empowertainment
- Conversations with Other Women is available on Hoopla in Canada and Prime in the US. However, the split-screen version is only available on DVD.
- The music for this episode is “Le Plus beau de quartier” by Carla Bruni
Roads to Nowhere: Kelly Reichardt’s Broken American dreams
- Purchase your copy of our newest ebook to discover how modern master Kelly Reichardt operates, and to read a series of essays about each of Reichardt’s films, which examine her thoughtful, quiet portraits of everyday lives.
- Read a free chapter from Roads To Nowhere, featuring an interview with Lily Gladstone
- Purchase your Kelly Reichardt mug