In preparation for our forthcoming ebook on Kelly Reichardt, podcast host and Editor-in-Chief Alex Heeney, Executive Editor Orla Smith, and Associate Editor Brett Pardy discuss site favourite Kelly Reichardt’s two (pre-First Cow) films about men and masculinity, Old Joy (2006) and Night Moves (2013). You can pre-order the ebook now.
In Old Joy, old college friends Kurt (Will Oldham) and Mark (Daniel London) reunite for a weekend camping trip. It does not go as planned.
In Night Moves, Josh (Jessen Eisenberg) and Dena (Dakota Fanning) are radical environmentalists who team with ex-Marine Harmon (Peter Sarsgaard) to bomb a dam. It does not go as planned.
On the podcast, our editors discuss why Kelly Reichardt is drawn to Oregon, how she depicts men and masculinity in Old Joy and Night Moves, how her films make driving look interesting, the lack of movies about male friendships, James LeGros’ one shirt, and more.
Catch up with all of Kelly Reichardt’s films
Take the Kelly Reichardt Challenge and let us help you locate Reichardt’s films, think through your viewing, offer supplementary reading, and explain how the films factor into our forthcoming ebook.
Never miss another episode. Subscribe to the podcast now!
Show notes and recommended reading after our podcast episode on Kelly Reichardt’s films about men: Old Joy and Night Moves
- Join Seventh Row’s Book Club to receive four Seventh Row ebooks delivered to your inbox every year + our most recent book. This will include our upcoming Kelly Reichardt book, which includes essays about Old Joy and Night Moves.
- Along with Certain Women and Oslo, August 31, see what other films we picked as the decade’s best.
- Read Orla’s feature on how Reichardt and Andrew Haigh are modernizing the western.
- Pre-order our next ebook on Céline Sciamma, one of the best directors working today.
- The Criterion edition of Old Joy is now available.
- Old Joy is currently streaming on Criterion Channel.
- Night Moves is streaming on Crave + in Canada, Mubi in the UK, and Kanopy in the US.