Editor-in-Chief Alex Heeney and Executive Editor Orla Smith recap Seventh Row’s eventful 2019, discuss our four ebooks, and preview next year’s slate.
This episode features discussion of all our 2019 ebooks: Peterloo in process: A Mike Leigh collaboration; Tour of memories: The creative process behind Joanna Hogg’s The Souvenir; The 2019 Canadian Cinema Yearbook; and Beyond empowertainment: Feminist horror and the struggle for female agency. Alex and Orla reflect on what they learned from editing these books and how Seventh Row has changed as a publication and publishing house over the last year.
They also look ahead at the year to come, including our upcoming ebook Portraits of resistance: The cinema of Céline Sciamma, which is the first book every written about Sciamma’s work, and our goals for Seventh Row’s development in 2020.
Listen to the episode on your favourite podcast app here.
Show notes and recommended reading for Seventh Row’s 2019 in review
- Join Seventh Row’s Book Club to receive four Seventh Row ebooks delivered to your inbox every year + our most recent book. Book Club members also receive a number of other benefits, including discounts and a weekly members newsletter.
- Read Christopher Schobert’s review of Peterloo in process for The Film Stage.
- Preview or purchase Peterloo in process: A Mike Leigh collaboration, which was published in April 2020.
- Read The Film Stage’s 2019 holiday gift guide, in which Peterloo in process is featured.
- Preview or purchase Tour of memories: The creative process behind Joanna Hogg’s The Souvenir, which was published in June 2020.
- Preview or purchase The Canadian Cinema Yearbook 2019, which was published in August 2020.
- Preview or purchase Beyond empowertainment: Feminist horror and the struggle for female agency, which was published in October 2020.