In this episode, Editor-in-Chief Alex Heeney and Executive Editor Orla Smith have a wide ranging conversation about film criticism and more specifically women in film criticism with Lindsay Pugh of Woman in Revolt. They begin discussing our new ebook, Portraits of resistance: The cinema of Céline Sciamma and the conversation evolves to cover Seventh Row’s approach to putting together books and the lack of good film criticism on women directors.
Listen to the podcast on your favourite app
Show notes and recommended reading
- Pre-order Roads to nowhere: Kelly Reichardt’s broken American dreams, our upcoming ebook on Kelly Reichardt, available in early June.
- Follow Lindsay Pugh’s work on her fantastic blog, Woman in Revolt.
- Listen to our episode on Céline Sciamma’s Portrait of a Lady of Fire, including a chapter-by-chapter breakdown of our new book, Portraits of resistance: The cinema of Céline Sciamma.
- Preview or purchase our latest ebook, Portraits of resistance, which was published in February 2020.
- Preview or purchase our ebook on Mike Leigh, Peterloo in Process: A Mike Leigh collaboration, which was published in April 2019.
- Preview or purchase our ebook on Lynne Ramsay’s You Were Never Really Here, which was published in October 2018.
- Preview or purchase our ebook on Andrew Haigh’s Lean on Pete, which was published in November 2018.
- Read Alex’s interview with Mouthpiece director Patricia Rozema and writers/actors Amy Nostbakken and Norah Sadava, which features in our ebook The 2019 Canadian Cinema Yearbook.
- Read Alex’s interview with Sally Potter on her film The Party.
- Read Alex’s interview with Gillian Armstrong on her film Women He’s Undressed.
- Read Alex’s interview with Maren Ade on her film Toni Erdmann.
- Check out our special issue on Dominic Cooke’s On Chesil Beach.
Re-live Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Return to 18th-century Brittany for a romance for the ages with the first ever book to be written about French filmmaker Céline Sciamma, her process, and her body of work.
Release Date: February 14, 2020