Many of the best recent Canadian films tell stories about young adults. This episode features YA fiction expert Joe Lipsett as we discuss what counts as YA, what is unique about Canadian YA films, and focus on six great films.
This episode features Editor-in-Chief Alex Heeney, Executive Editor Orla Smith, and special guest Joe Lipsett (@bstolemyremote)
- Visit our guide to Contemporary World Cinema for Young Adults
- Purchase our 2019 Canadian Cinema Yearbook, featuring a section on YA films, including Firecrackers, The Fireflies are Gone, Genèse, and Giant Little Ones
- Listen to our podcast on the films of Anne Émond, including Jeune Juliette
- Watch a directing masterclass with Anne Émond and Madeleine Olnek from our Lockdon Film School series
- Read an excerpt from Alex’s interview with Giant Little Ones director Keith Behrman. The full interview is in The Canadian Cinema Yearbook
- Read an excerpt from Justine Smiths’s interview with Genèse director Philippe Lesage. The full interview is in The Canadian Cinema Yearbook
- Read an excerpt from Alex’s interview with The Fireflies Are Gone director Sébastian Pilote. The full interview is in The Canadian Cinema Yearbook
- Read Alex’s interview with Lesage on Les demons
- Listen to our two-part discussion of the best Canadian films of 2018, featuring The Fireflies are Gone, Genèse, and Giant Little Ones
- Listen to Joe’s other appearance on our podcast, discussing Jennifer Kent’s The Nightingale
- Listen to Joe and Brenna Clarke Gray’s podcast on YA literature and film adaptations, Harry & Katniss & Hazel & Starr
- The music for this episode is “Crystals” from Michael Brooks’ Giant Little Ones score
Where to Watch Canadian YA Films
- Giant Little Ones is streaming on Crave+, Hoopla, and Gem in Canada, Hoopla and Kanopy in the US, Prime in the UK, and Kanopy in Australia. It is also available on VOD in Canada, the US, and UK
- The Fireflies are Gone is available on VOD in Canada and SBS in Australia
- Les demons is available on VOD in the US and on Vimeo in Canada.
- Genèse is streaming on Hoopla in Canada, Prime and Hoopla in the US, Prime in the UK, as well as available on VOD in Canada, the US, and the UK
- Jeune Juliette is available on VOD in Canada
- Slut in a Good Way is available on Prime and Kanopy in the US and Kanopy and SBS in Australia. It is also available on VOD in Canada and the US.
Roads to Nowhere: Kelly Reichardt’s Broken American dreams
- Purchase your copy of our newest ebook to discover how modern master Kelly Reichardt operates, and to read a series of essays about each of Reichardt’s films, which examine her thoughtful, quiet portraits of everyday lives.
- Read a free chapter from Roads To Nowhere, featuring an interview with Lily Gladstone
- Purchase your Kelly Reichardt mug