This episode presents our Lockdown Film School master class with writer-director Alice Winocour in podcast form. We discuss her three features including the recently released Proxima, her writing process, and her cinematic interest in the body. Read more on Proxima >>
This episode features Editor-in-Chief Alex Heeney and Executive Editor Orla Smith interviewing writer-director Alice Winocour
Proxima (Alice Winocour, 2019)
Alice Winocour’s new film, Proxima, looks at astronaut training through a professional rather than mythic lens. Eva Green plays Sarah, an astronaut preparing for a year on the International Space Station. To do so, she has to prepare for a physically and technically demanding job, deal with the casual misogyny of the men around her, and emotionally prepare to be away from her daughter for the year.
Proxima will be available on VOD in Canada and the USA on November 6. It will be on Curzon Home Cinema in the UK on November 22.
- Read Orla’s interview with director Alice Winocour about Proxima
- Read Alex’s interview with Winocour about her prior film, Disorder
- Watch our Lockdown Film School interview with Alice Winocour, where she discusses all her feature films, including Proxima.
- Listen to our episode discussing Working Mothers: Proxima & Baby Boom
- Listen to our other Lockdown Film School podcast, featuring directors Mina Shum and Philippe Falardeau
- Check out our other favourite films of the decade
- View all of our Lockdown Film School Sessions
- Stay tuned for more Proxima coverage this week
Roads to Nowhere: Kelly Reichardt’s Broken American Dreams
- Purchase your copy of our newest ebook to discover how modern master Kelly Reichardt operates, and to read a series of essays about each of Reichardt’s films, which examine her thoughtful, quiet portraits of everyday lives.
- Read a free chapter from Roads To Nowhere, featuring an interview with Lily Gladstone
- Purchase your Kelly Reichardt mug
- Purchase your Cookie and King-Lu Baking Co. T-shirt