Seventh Row Editors Alex Heeney and Orla Smith discuss the journey of writing our new ebook, Subjective realities: The art of creative nonfiction film.
This episode features Editor-in-Chief Alex Heeney and Executive Editor Orla Smith.
On This Episode
- The book’s origin story (2:22)
- What do we mean by “creative nonfiction” (8:53)
- How we put the book together (11:25)
- Editing and revising site content (12:33)
- Targeting new films and filmmakers (14:12)
- Why we focus on contemporary film (20:55)
- The book’s six sections (32:19)
- The films in the book (37:01)
- What we discovered writing the book (40:39)
- The Creative nonfiction workshop (45:58)
- Conclusion (49:44)
- Pre-order the book
- Visit our Lockdown film school page to view some past sessions and find information on upcoming sessions, including one with Robert Greene and Joe Bini
- Read six filmmakers, from Penny Lane to Kirsten Johnson, weigh in on the question, what do you call your nonfiction film?
- Read our survey of fifteen critics and filmmakers on the films that changed how they thought about documentary.
- Ep. 99: Creative Nonfiction with Penny Lane and Carol Nguyen