For the last year, we’ve been planning a book and workshop series around creative nonfiction. Find out how and why we adopted this term to describe a distinct genre of documentary films on this creative nonfiction bonus episode.
Film Adventurer Members get a weekly bonus podcast episode with their subscription. We released this bonus episode in June. To receive more episodes like this and much more, please subscribe, for only $39.99 (Canadian) per year.
This episode features Editor-In-Chief Alex Heeney and Executive Editor Orla Smith.
- Read Alex’s interview with Penny Lane about her film NUTS!
- Watch the Lockdown Film School session with Penny Lane and Carol Nguyen
- Read Orla’s article exploring the term through quotes from Penny Lane, Tabitha Jackson, and more.
- Read an excerpt of Elena Lazic’s interview with Evelyn director Orlando von Einsiedel
- Read an excerpt of Elena’s interview with Evelyn director of photography Franklin Dow
- Listen to Episode 95: Reclaiming history in documentary: No Ordinary Man and John Ware Reclaimed
- Purchase Subjective realities: The art of creative nonfiction film, available now!
- Purchase In their own words: Documentary masters vol. 1, featuring a section on creative nonfiction
- No Crying at the Dinner Table (Carol Nguyen, 2019) is available for free on Vimeo
- Watching the Pain of Others (Chloé Galibert-Laîné, 2018) is available for free on Galibert-Laîné’s website
Explore the spectrum between fiction and nonfiction
Subjective realities: The art of creative nonfiction is a tour through contemporary creative nonfiction, aka hybrid or experimental documentaries. Discover films that push the boundaries of the documentary form.