Joanna Hogg calls The Souvenir Part II “a film about the making of Part I.” Back in 2019, we wrote an ebook about the making of Part I. On this episode, find out how Part II changes how we see Part I and builds Julie’s character arc.
This episode features Editor-in-Chief Alex Heeney, Executive Editor Orla Smith, and special guest Fiona Underhill.
The Souvenir (2019)
Set in the 1980s, The Souvenir tells the story of a film student, Julie (Honor Swinton Byrne) who gets into a difficult romantic relationship with Anthony (Tom Burke) that simultaneously feeds her creativity and shakes her self-confidence. Based on Hogg’s personal experiences as a film student, it even features an exact replica of the apartment she lived in at the time.
The Souvenir is available on VOD and streaming on Kanopy in the US and Netflix in Australia.
The Souvenir Part II (2021)
Part II picks up with Julie attempting to understand his relationship with Anthony through the process of making her graduation film.
Get the book about The Souvenir
Snag a copy of the first ever book to be written about British filmmaker Joanna Hogg and her process.
As a chronicle of the making of Hogg’s first Souvenir film, Tour of memories is a perfect companion to The Souvenir Part II, a film about the making of The Souvenir.
On this episode:
- Fiona Underhill, The Souvenir superfan (1:08)
- Tour of memories (4:14)
- Related episodes (8:38)
- Synopses (15:19)
- How does Part II change how we see Part I (23:14)
- Julie’s arc as an artist and a character (33:44)
- The ensemble (53:10)
- Where does Joanna Hogg go next? (1:03:04)
- The costumes (1:05:22)
- Julie’s parents (1:14:30)
- Honor Swinton Byrne (1:20:22)
- The sound design (1:24:06)
- Hogg’s other films (1:25:38)
- Conclusion (1:37:10)
- Our ebook Tour of memories: The creative process behind Joanna Hogg’s The Souvenir provides the trademark Seventh Row 360-degree view of Hogg’s filmmaking process on The Souvenir. Read interviews with all of Hogg’s key behind the lens collaborators, several of whom have been working with her since her first film, Unrelated.
- Purchase our ebook Portraits of resistance: The cinema of Céline Sciamma
- Watch our Lockdown Film School session with The Souvenir production designer Stéphane Collonge (and Suzie Davies)
- Watch our Lockdown Film School session with The Souvenir costume designer Grace Snell (and April Napier)
- Read Fiona’s review of The Souvenir Part II on Jumpcut Online
- Read Fiona’s interview with Joanna Hogg on Jumpcut Online
- Ep. 114: Mia Hansen-Løve’s Things to Come and Bergman Island
- Ep. 69: Paddington and Paddington 2 (Member’s Only)
- Ep. 44: Shirley and portraits of female artists (Member’s Only)
- Ep. 14: The Souvenir and the films of Joanna Hogg