Editor-in-Chief Alex Heeney and Executive Editor Orla Smith (plus special guests) discuss the best films so far in one of cinema’s most unusual years.
This episode is a Seventh Row members exclusive, as are all episodes older than six months. Click here to become a member.
This episode features Editor-in-Chief Alex Heeney and Executive Editor Orla Smith, with special appearances by Ben Flanagan (@manlikeflan), Associate Editor Brett Pardy, Fatima Sheriff (@reaffirmsfaith), Mike Thorn (@MikeThornWrites), Valeria Villegas Lindvall, and Lena Wilson (@lenalwilson).
Want to listen to the episode?
Click here to become a Seventh Row member and get access to this episode, as well as all other podcast episodes older than six months.
Podcast episodes related to the best films of 2020 (so far)
- Listen to our episode Shirley and Portraits of Female Artists
- Listen to our episode Abortion on screen and Never Rarely Sometimes Always
- Listen to our episode Comparing Emma Adaptations
- Listen to our episode on Sorry We Missed You and Peterloo
Lockdown Film School sessions related to the best films of 2020 (so far)
- Watch our Lockdown Film School session on directing with Alice Winocour
- Watch our Lockdown Film School session on nonfiction filmmaking with Penny Lane and Carol Nguyen
- Sign-up for this Sunday’s Lockdown Film School session on directing with Jasmin Mozaffari and Darya Zhuk
Check out our contributing critics
- Ben Flanagan is an editor for Cinema Year Zero and
- Fatima Sheriff is a film critic for Screen Queens
- Mike Thorn’s work can be found on his website Mike Thorn Writes
- Valeria Villegas Lindvall can be found on Mai: Feminism and Visual Culture and in the upcoming book Women Make Horror
- Lena Wilson can be found on her website
Recommended reading on the best films of 2020 (so far)
- Read Orla’s interview with Anne at 13,000 ft director Kazik Radwanski
- Read Orla’s interview with The Assistant director Kitty Green
- Read Orla’s interview with Crystal Swan writer-director Darya Zhuk
- Read Alex’s interview with Ema director Pablo Larraín and lead actress Mariana di Girolamo
- Read Alex’s celebration of Josh O’Connor’s performance in Emma
- Read Orla’s review of First Cow
- Read Brett’s review of First Stripes
- Read Orla’s interview with Kuessipan director Myriam Verreault and co-writer Noami Fontaine
- Read Alex’s interview with No Crying at the Dinner Table director Carol Nguyen
- Read Orla’s interview with The Perfect Candidate director Haifaa Al-Mansour
- Read Orla’s interview with Proxima director Alice Winocur
- Read Ben’s interview with Swallow director Carlo Mirabella-Davis
Roads to nowhere: Kelly Reichardt’s broken American dreams
- Pre-order your copy of our newest ebook to discover how modern master Kelly Reichardt operates, and to read a series of essays about each of Reichardt’s films, which examine her thoughtful, quiet portraits of everyday lives.
- Read a free chapter from Roads To Nowhere, featuring an interview with Lily Gladstone
- Purchase your Kelly Reichardt mug
Become a Kelly Reichardt expert
Roads to nowhere: Kelly Reichardt’s broken American dreams is an ebook that will take you on a journey through Reichardt’s filmography.
It’s also the only place you can find interviews with her and all her collaborators, which together reveal Reichardt’s filmmaking process like never before.