On the first of our TIFF 2021 podcasts, we discuss the films we saw before the festival began. This includes the new film from site favourite Joachim Trier, Jack Lowden in Terence Davies’ Benediction, and more.
This episode is a Seventh Row members exclusive, as are all episodes older than six months. Click here to become a member.
This episode features Editor-in-Chief Alex Heeney and Executive Editor Orla Smith.
Want to listen to the episode?
Click here to become a Seventh Row member and get access to this episode, as well as all other podcast episodes older than six months.
On this episode:
- Joachim Trier ebook (2:46)
- Horror symposium (5:04)
- TIFF 2021 Films covered on other podcasts (6:49)
- Why we are only covering TIFF remotely (12:51)
- The Worst Person in the World (Joachim Trier) (19:37)
- Benediction (Terence Davies) (25:31)
- What happened to the good Canadian films at TIFF? (37:14)
- Scarborough (Shasha Nakhai & Rich Williamson) (42:29)
- Other films Orla saw (46:25)
- Other films Alex saw (49:49)
- Wrap-up (52:17)
- Conclusion (59:39)
- Read Alex’s interview with Anders Danielsen Lie on Oslo, August 31st
- Read Alex’s interview with Joachim Trier on Oslo, August 31st
- Sign up for updates on the first book to ever be published on the films of Norwegian filmmaker Joachim Trier
- Purchase our new ebook Subjective realities: The art of creative nonfiction film
- Sign up to get our daily newsletter about TIFF 2021 (until September 19)
TIFF 2021 reviews:
- Read Alex’s review of Benediction
- Read Orla’s review of Scarborough
- Read Orla’s review of Aloners (Hong Seong-eun)
- Read Alex’s interview with As in Heaven director Tea Lindeburg
- Read Alex’s review of Yuni (Kamila Andini)
- Read Orla’s review of Good Madam (Jenna Cato Bass)
- Ep. 107: Are men OK? Masculinity, mental health, & addiction in Another Round and Oslo, August 31st Redux
- Ep. 84: Berlinale 2021, Part 2: The Competition
- Ep. 83: Berlinale 2021, Part 1: The Sidebars
- Ep. 78: Sundance 2021, Part 1 (Members Only)