We’re joined by Lindsay Pugh to continue our ongoing conversation around films about portraits of female artists, and how the way these stories are being told is changing, including The Souvenir, Mothering Sunday, Bergman Island, and more.
This episode features Editor-in-Chief Alex Heeney, Executive Editor Orla Smith, and Contributing Editor Lindsay Pugh
Want to listen to the episode?
Click here to become a Seventh Row member and get access to this episode, as well as all other podcast episodes older than six months.
On This Episode
- Our previous coverage of female artists (1:33)
- The films on this episode: Summerland (Jessica Swale, 2020), Mothering Sunday (Eva Husson, 2021), The Worst Person in the World (Joachim Trier, 2021), I Used to Go Here (Kris Rey, 2020), The Forty-Year-Version (Radha Blank, 2020), Bergman Island (Mia Hansen-Løve, 2021), The Souvenir Part II (Joanna Hogg, 2021), Ninjababy (Yngvild Sve Flikke, 2021), and Sugar Daddy (Wendy Morgan, 2020) (6:31)
- Mothering Sunday and semi-autobiographical stories of processing romantic relationships (9:27)
- The process of processing the past (21:03)
- Showing film making and writing processes (26:14)
- Depicting the costs of being an artist (33:03)
- Women artist’s relationship with children (40:12)
- Meta-autobiographical films (57:16)
- What do we hope is next for portraits of female artists (1:01:04)
- Conclusion (1:12:20)
- Our ebook Tour of memories: The creative process behind Joanna Hogg’s The Souvenir provides the trademark Seventh Row 360-degree view of Hogg’s filmmaking process on The Souvenir. Read interviews with all of Hogg’s key behind the lens collaborators, several of whom have been working with her since her first film, Unrelated.
Related episodes to films about women artists
- Ep. 44: Shirley and portraits of female artists (Members Only)
- Ep. 122: Joachim Trier’s The Worst Person in the World
- Ep. 121: Ninjababy & Obvious Child: Unwanted pregnancies in romantic comedies
- Ep. 118: The Souvenir Part I and II
- Ep. 114: Mia Hansen-Løve’s Things to Come and Bergman Island (Members Only)
- Ep. 92: Sugar Daddy and An Easy Girl: Commodifying women (Members Only)
- Ep. 89: Spinster and The Forty-Year-Old Version: Coming of age at forty (Members Only)
- Ep. 54: I Used to Go Here and Unexpected: Kris Rey’s thirtysomethings (Members Only)
- Ep. 45: The films of Anne Émond, from Nuit #1 to Nelly (Members Only)
- Ep. 30: Céline Sciamma’s Portrait of a Lady on Fire
- Ep. 15: Vita & Virginia and the author biopic (Members Only)
- Ep. 14: The Souvenir and the films of Joanna Hogg